Voices of the San Juan is a passion-project established as a medium for generating knowledge of a particular area within the United States. Specifically, we are passionate about the San Juan River Basin, the watershed of the Four Corners Region: Southwest Colorado, Southeast Utah, Northeast Arizona, and Northwest New Mexico. For the reason that we live within this extraordinary expanse of land and that we have come to deeply resonate with it as well, we have taken it upon ourselves to gather a better understanding of what this land has to offer to its inhabitants. Through means of talking to influential and knowledgeable people, we hope to create a more holistic understanding of this area. If you choose to listen and learn with us, we are okay with that, too.
Sharing stories and knowledge is something innately human. We desire to hear and record stories, oral histories, explanations and elaborations, passions and enthusiasms, triumphs and hardships and any other understandings from those who occupy this region and are willing to share. Everything revolves around 'place' and we hope to hear about not only your connection with this vast expanse of land, but also about who you are, what you believe, and where you come from. Below are three questions that can be interpreted in a variety of ways. There is no right or wrong answer, but rather any answer given is welcomed and appreciated. These questions are to serve as guides in the conversation. You are not limited to what these questions ask, nor are you limited to speaking about this area. Whatever you have to offer will be received with open ears, open minds, and open hearts. Please share with us your story.
1. What is your sense of place?
- How would you describe your connection with the place in which you live?
- How do you interact with the land?
- What do you enjoy most about this place? Enjoy least?
- Describe your lifestyle. How do you live? How do you survive?
2. Why are you here?
- What brought you to the San Juan Basin? Did you grow up here?
- What has made you stay in this region?
- How long have you been associated with it?
- And how does that manifest into your work, social life, hobbies, etc.?
3. What is your work?
- Who are you? What makes you, you?
- How do you spend your time here?
- Where have you been and what have you done?
- What is your craft? Describe your field(s) of expertise.
- What is something you could teach us about?